Never Fairies are magical creatures whose main function is to change the seasons on the Mainland. They are the main characters in the Disney Fairies franchise, and they're primary residents of Pixie Hollow.
When a baby laughs for the first time, a pixie is born. The laugh blows away and he or she is carried by the winds to Pixie Hollow, where a Dust-keeper sprinkles Pixie Dust on them, resulting in their birth. This is an event called "The Arrival". The pixie that arrives can be either a fairy, a female Never Fairy, or a sparrowman, a male Never Fairy.
Minutes later, Queen Clarion welcomes them and the ceremony to discover what type of talent they have. She summons mushrooms and fairies of multiple talent guilds to bring objects that represent their talents, and to discover what type of talent the new fairy has. When discovering talents, the objects may shine brightly or dimly, showing off how gifted the fairy is. After their talent is found, Queen Clarion asks to other fairies of the same talent guild to introduce themselves and gives the newborn a name. When winter-talents are born, they cross The Border into the Winter Woods. However, it was not shown how they discover their talents, but it most likely resembles their warm counterparts. Also, its most probably that Lord Milori welcomes them instead of his lover, Queen Clarion.
Pixie Hollow's warm side is under the rule of Queen Clarion, and all warm fairies recognize her as their ruler. By other hand, all Winter fairies recognize Lord Milori as their ruler. Furthermore, fairies can have siblings if the laugh blows away into one or more fairies; no matter if it is a warm-talented fairy or a winter fairy native from the Winter Woods. They have wings are exactly the same in their design and pattern. When they approach each other, their wings glows and can help them to repair their own broken wings. Fairies cannot fly while soaked, even if supplied with Pixie Dust and their ability to fly only returns when dry.
The average Never fairy (whether female or male) stands at five inches tall (12.7 cm). Fairies can appear to be of any ethnicity, although they usually have button noses and slanted eyes. In the films, however, it appears that some features and talents may be more likely to go together: for example, all winter-talents tend to have either white or black hair, and many light-talents have dark hair and skin. Each fairy's wing design is unique, there are no two that are exactly the same, with the exception of twins born of the same laugh (following the events of Secret of the Wings). Their wings can break if a Warm fairy enters the Winter Woods or if a Winter fairy tries to enter the warms seasons of Pixie Hollow. This causes the fairy to loses their ability to fly forever; without a sibling, this cannot be cured. If they do have a sibling, approaching them causes an intense glow and repairs the damaged wings.
Their clothes are made out off natural materials, such as leaves and flower petals, and dyed according to the talent they belong to. Zarina was the only fairy seen wearing unnatural clothing and eye shadow. Mother Dove's Egg keeps the inhabitants of Never Land (including the fairies) free of aging as long it is kept safe and warm. However, if either a fairy or sparrowman leaves Never Land, he or she will begin to age rapidly and die due to old age soon after. While Dewey has an elderly appearance, he was born this way to fill his role as The Keeper, a role best suited for someone old and wise.
- Main article: Talents
Each fairy or sparrowman is naturally gifted with a single, special talent. It reflects his or her most inner qualities and personality,
While all fairies have a talent, only those fairies who worked closely with nature were allowed to visit the Mainland; while the others stayed in Pixie Hollow their whole lives. However, after the events of Tinker Bell, they were allowed to go the Mainland with the others. Furthermore, after the events of the original movie, tinker-talents were allowed to use Lost Things in their special crafts and inventions; they were accepted as part of their daily lives by Fairy Mary, the head.
- Water: If a fairy is soaked with water, they will temporarily lose their ability to fly as long as their wings remain wet. Even Water-talents cannot swim. Rani is the only exception just because of her sacrifice, as her wings had been lost forever during it.
- Heat: Heat can break the wings of winter-talents and will prevents them from flying again.
- Cold: Cold can freeze warm-weather fairies to death in the same way extreme cold would a clumsy (human). Cold can also permanently break their wings, forever taking away their ability to fly. Both weaknesses of heat and cold can be cured if the laugh were divided into two fairies.
- Hawks: They are natural predators and will chase and eat fairies whenever the opportunity presents itself. Even the Animal-talents aren't safe of these birds of prey.
Society and Culture
- The Arrival: Where a fairy or sparrowman born and discovers his or her talent.
- The Queen's Magazine: When Queen Clarion, with the help of The Minister of Spring, inspects the final preparations for delivering spring season; it occurs a night before The Evergreen fully blooms and spring is delivered on the Mainland by dawn.
- Autumn Revelry: Performed in every eight years at the beginning of autumn on the Mainland, the Autumn Revelry is where dust-keeper fairies and the others gather Blue Pixie Dust to feed the Pixie Dust Tree. They also illuminate the sky with fireworks, train tadpoles to blow bubbles and a swarms of butterflies fly through the blue sparkling air.
- Pixie Hollow Games: A race where fairies compete against each other. Each competing guild is represented by two fairies: The leader and their partner. They must work as a team, and both must finish an event together to qualify. Precisely how fairies are usually chosen to enter the games isn't completely detailed. Chloe trained and volunteered to represent the garden-talent fairies, and when nobody else volunteered a name was drawn from a basket to pick another at "random" - in reality, the basket only had Rosetta's name in it, as she had avoided competing in the game while her guild-mates had suffered humiliating defeats. The opening ceremonies take place at the Fairy Coliseum. The competitors enter the coliseum and are introduced to the spectators. Queen Clarion arrives to welcome the spectators and wish the competitors good luck. Once the opening ceremonies are over, the first game begins. The games go on for three days, with one event on the first day, four events on the second day, and one event on the last day. The games are: Leapfrogging, Dragonfly
Water Skiing, Mouse Polo, Twig Spears, Teacup Challenge and Derby Cart Race.
- Four Seasons Festival: The fairies make shows with their talents to represent each realm of Pixie Hollow. This is the only event that winter-talents attend on the warm side of Pixie Hollow.
There are several encampments that fairies live in temporarily through all over the Mainland; they established their secret camps to help them during changing the seasons. Though never abandoned, there are always fairies coming and going.
- Tinker Bell was the mentor of the tinker-talents.
- Silvermist was the mentor of the water-talents.
- Iridessa was the mentor of the light-talents.
- Fawn was the mentor of the animal-talents.
- Rosetta was the mentor of the garden-talents.
The Seasonal Ministers
The Seasonal Ministers are in charge of watching over their domain in Pixie Hollow and overseeing the Never fairies working under their eye. They are:
While respectful in comparison to regular fairies, they are still under the authority of Queen Clarion's rulership and always tries to please her whenever they get the chance. They occasionally also travels to the Mainland with regular fairies, and while there, they act as effective leaders in her absence.
Attitudes Toward Animals
Each Never fairy or sparrowman cares a lot for the exuberant fauna found over Pixie Hollow; they are intuitive towards most animals and can understand its emotions to some degree. However, there are fairies who are gifted with a deeper connection with them; they are the Animal-talents, responsible for the well care and safety of all animals found also on the Mainland.
Here's a list of animals who works closely with Never fairies and are associated with their talents:
- Cheese (mouse) is seen helping tinker-talents by carrying their diverse items and inventions around the hollow. Despite being a firefly, Blaze is Tinker Bell's friend and also helps her fellow tinkers.
- Dragonflies works closely with water-talents as they carry handbags filled with dewdrops.
- Fireflies are known to be lit up by light-talents and are trained to work as torches and lanterns after sundown.
- Frogs and animals of all kinds are known to be well cared for and trained their basic skills by animal-talents.
- Earthworms works well with garden-talents as they are told to dive underground to allow air tunnels to exist.
- Birds are frequently seen being dried up by Fast-fliers after baths.
However, neither an Animal-talent or regular fairy can deal or tame a hawk; these birds of prey will not distinguish fairies by their special talents and will eat them. Fawn is known to take care of a injured hatchling, inside her own house, but was forced to let it out when everyone around panicked. Scout-talents are the only ones who can defy these enemies and kick them off Pixie Hollow, if they're lucky enough.
The NeverBeast, also named "Gruff" by his close friends, is the fierce protector and guardian of the seasonal realms; he awakes of his slumber in a couple of centuries to save the hollow's regions of a massive destruction caused by a magical storm full of dangerous green lightnings and chilling thunder roars. During Tinker Bell's lifetime, he was awakened when a green comet roamed the night sky; the fairy subjects initially began to fear him thinking he was a threat, but Gruff was only trying to fulfill his duty. Once more, Fawn trusted him after talking with Tink; and thanks to her bravery, the realms of Pixie Hollow were once more safe.
- Tinker Bell (film)
- Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg
- Secret of the Wings (film)
- Secret of the Wings (film)
- The Pirate Fairy (film)
- In the Realm of the Never Fairies
- Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (film)
- Pixie Hollow Bake Off (special)
- Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (film)
- Pixie Hollow (online game)
- Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast (film)