When a baby laughs for the first time, a fairy is born. The laugh blows away and he or she is carried by the winds to Pixie Hollow, where a Dust-talent fairy sprinkes Pixie Dust, birthing them. This is an event called "The Arrival".
Minutes later, Queen Clarion welcomes them and the ceremony to discover what type of talent he or she has. She summons mushrooms and fairies of multiple talent guilds bring objects to represent their talents, and to discover what type of talent the new fairy have. When discovering talents, they may shine brightly or less bright, showing off how gifted the fairy is. After they discovers, Queen Clarion asks to other fairies of the same talent guild to introduce themselves and gives the newborn a name. When Winter fairies are born, the laugh travels to the Winter Woods crossing the border. However, we did not see how they discover their talents, but certainly it resemble their warm counterparts.
Pixie Hollow's warm side is under the rule of Queen Clarion, and all warm fairies recognize her as their ruler. All Winter fairies recognize Lord Milori as their "King" and are under his rule. Fairies can have siblings if the laugh blows away into one or more fairies. They have wings are exactly the same in their design and pattern. When they approach each other, their wings glows and can help them to repair their own broked wings. Fairies cannot fly while soaked, even if supplied with Pixie Dust and their ability to fly only returns when dry.
The average Never fairy stands at five inches tall (12.7 cm). Fairies can appear to be of any ethnicity, although they usually have button noses and slanted eyes. In the films, however, it appears that some features and talents may be more likely to go together: for example, all Winter fairies tend to have either white or black hair, and many Light fairies have dark hair and skin. Each fairy's wing design is unique, there are no two that are exactly the same, with the exception of twins born of the same laugh (following the events of Secret of the Wings). They can break if a Warm fairy enters in the Winter Woods and the same occurs if a Winter fairy tries to enter the warms seasons of Pixie Hollow. This causes the fairy to loses his/her ability to fly forever, and there's no cure for this. The only way is the fairy has a sibling is to approach them, which causes intense glow and repairs the damaged wings. Fairies clothes' are made out of nature materials, such as leaves, flower petals and dyed to the hue according to the talent he or she belongs. Zarina, as The Pirate Fairy, is the only fairy seen wearing non-natural clothing. Mother Dove's Egg keeps the inhabitants of Never Land (including the fairies) free of ageing as long it is kept safe and warm. However, if fairies leaves Pixie Hollow, choosing to live in the Mainland, he or she will live with the effects of ageing and will consequently die of old age not long after. Dewey is a fairy that has an elderly appearance, but he was born this way, because his status as The Keeper suits someone older and wise.
Each fairy has a talent, whether magic or mundane. The use of Pixie Dust allows the fairy to perform magic if he/she has a magical talent dealing with forces of nature. The absence of Pixie Dust deprives said fairy of his/her magic (if he/she has a magical talent) and the ability to fly. Fairies can even grown their own Pixie Dust Tree, altgouht it requires a regular tree with the infusion of Blue Pixie Dust within it. Once done, the now special tree will produce regular golden Pixie Dust as soon the Blue Pixie Dust is dropping inside it. Despite all fairies being gifted, all who have magical talents dealing with forces of nature can visit the Mainland, and the other non-magical fairies stay in Pixie Hollow during all their lives, as their talents are only useful there. However, after the events of Tinker Bell, the Tinker fairies were allowed to go the Mainland with the others.
Pixie Dust Alchemy was created by an incredible gifted and powerful dust-keeper named Zarina, that can change the natural properties of the regular Pixie Dust, giving it another colors and powerful special properties associated with the talents, and can even change the natural talent that a fairy possess if sprinkled on them. When a fairy changes his/her talent, the only way to reverts back to their original is to be sprinkled with the dust related to it.
For more information, visit Talents.
- Water: If a fairy is soaked with water, he or she will temporarily loses his/her ability to fly as long their wings remain wet. However, a fairy never can swim without drowing, and Rani is the only fairy who can swim, as she is the only who doesn't have wings and them will not drown her.
- Cold: For only warm-weather fairies, cold can freeze them to death in the same way a human and can permanently break their wings, depriving them forever of the ability of fly.
- Heat: For only Winter fairies, it can break their wings the same way as cold for warm-weather fairies depriving them forever of the ability of fly.
- Hawks: They are fairies' natural predators and will chase and eats them as soon they are under their eye.
Fairies attends many events, such as:
- The Arrival: Where a fairy is born and discovers his/her talent.
- The Queen's Magazine: When Queen Clarion, with the help of the Minister of Spring, sees if anything is ready with spring a night before it is taken to the Mainland.
- Autumn Revelry: Performed in every eight years at the beginning of autumn on the Mainland, the Autumn Revelry is where dust-keeper fairies and the others gather Blue Pixie Dust to feed the Pixie Dust Tree. They also illuminates the sky with fireworks, train tadpoles to blow bubbles and a storm of butterflies flies through the blue sparkling air.
- Pixie Hollow Games: A race where fairies competing against each other. Each competing guild is represented by two fairies: The leader and their partner. They must work as a team, and both must finish an event together to count. Precisely how fairies are usually chosen to enter the games isn't completely detailed. Chloe trained and volunteered to represent the garden-talent fairies, and when nobody else volunteered a name was drawn from a basket to pick another at "random" - in reality, the basket only had Rosetta's name in it, as Rosetta had avoided competing in the game while her guild-mates had suffered humiliating defeats. The opening ceremonies take place at the Fairy Coliseum. The competitors enter the coliseum and are introduced to the spectators. Queen Clarion arrives to welcome the spectators and wish good luck to the competitors. Once the opening ceremonies are over, the first game begins. The games go on for three days, with one event on the first day, four events on the second day, and one event on the last day. The races are: Leapfrogging, Dragonfly
Water Skiing, Mouse Polo, Twig Spears, Teacup Challenge and Derby Cart Race.
- Four Seasons Festival: The fairies make shows with their talents to represent each season of Pixie Hollow. This is the only event that Winter fairies attends on the warm side of Pixie Hollow.
Is several acampaments that fairies lives temporarily through the Mainland in order to fullfil their duty to watch over nature and the seasons. Their acampaments is never abandoned, and there's always fairies coming and lefting. Tinker Bell describes one of it as "Every Pixie Hollow on a single tree."
First seen in Pixie Hollow Online, Mentor fairies were the head of a specific talent guild, just like in the movies, where many heads can be seen, however, just only a few talents have heads.
- Tinker Bell was the mentor of the Tinker-talents.
- Silvermist was the mentor of the Water-talents.
- Iridessa was the mentor of the Light-talents.
- Fawn was the mentor of the Animal-talents.
- Rosetta was the mentor of the Garden-talents.
The Seasonal Ministers
The Seasonal Ministers are in charge of watching over their domain in Pixie Hollow and overseeing the fairies working under their eye. They are The Minister of Spring, The Minister of Summer, The Minister of Autumn and The Minister of Winter. Despite their status, they are under the govern of Queen Clarion or Lord Milori and treats them with respect and loyalty.
Fairies and Humans can never meet each other, as their contact is forbidden by fairy law. When a human comes by, fairies hide, never approach, or even mention them. To humans, every fairy speaks like jingling of bells and its impossible to them hear their voices and full understand them, however some humans like Captain Hook or Peter Pan can intuitively understand them.